Sunday, August 29, 2010

NO REGRETS

Make a Decision...


I pride myself on having no regrets in life.


I have made decisions in my life time that I do NOT consider the best. However, those decisions have molded me into the person I am as well as the ones that I DO consider the best.


In my last post, ( Make IT Happen), I had one regret following my encounter with the pleasant and talented Mr. Santino Rice. My regret was that I did not give him one of my necklaces.


That regret pricked my brain over night and into the next day. Fearful of being viewed as over the top and possibly as a stalker, I tried to quiet my regret. To no avail... it gnawed at me.

Friday morning I was sharing with a good friend about my regret. She, being the " make it happen" person that I love, matter-of-factly asked, " What's the problem?". Then boldly stated," Make it happen!". I made a decision.

I knew where the "On The Road..." dynamic duo was staying. I knew that they would be in town until Saturday. I knew that I could figure out a classy non-invasive way to present my gift to Mr. Rice.


Before I finished the short chat with my girlfriend I was fashioning a package to drop off at the front desk of the bed and breakfast. I had NO intention to try to see Mr. Rice or Mr. Scarlett. Praying for courage all the while... I included a necklace, a hand written thank you card, a post card with photos of one of my pieces and contact info as well as a business card. I tied the box with a simple black double faced satin ribbon. I placed it all in a gift bag donning a reproduction one of my faces from 'The Village', took a deep breath and started out the door on yet another FRAN.MACK adventure.

Again with kids in tow, I parked and we entered a side door at the lovely and serene Rockwood Manor in Dublin, Va.. Just inside the entrance there was a woman sitting in a side room at a desk. She was very pleasant and greeted my kids with warmth. Being told that THAT was the "front desk", I asked if I could leave a gift for Santino Rice. " Oh, you can give it to him yourself. They are right over there working."She said. I was mortified. I didn't expect access AGAIN. I objected, however, she assured me that it was okay.

As the kids and I approached the work room, I stood in the doorway, looked directly at Mr. Rice, held up my hands in surrender and said, " I swear I'm not stalking you!". He smiled and started towards us as the others in the room laughed. I felt relieved. Again, He greeted the children with warmth and playfulness. I presented him with my package then thanked him again for his kindness and appreciation. I suddenly remembered I was holding my phone in my hand and asked if we could take a picture. " Of course" resounded that distinctive, booming bass. In a flutter of hot pink fabric being set aside, and crew members adjusting position I looked across the room and choked out a "hello, ummm, Austin", ( Sorry Mr. Scarlett. My multi tasking abilities failed me in the moment). He was diligently working on what I'm sure will be another FAB collaboration. Finally, camera function ready, me holding ( the shy) Jamison and Santino holding Mason, we get a photo. In a muddle of thank yous and goodbyes I usher the kids out. We get in the car, I take a deep breath and thank God for being so good.

Meeting Mr. Santino Rice in Radford on Thursday AND hearing him admire my work was enough. I thought it doesn't get better than that... and then it did!

Mr. Santino Rice is an incredibly talented designer. He has an eye for what is beautiful. That's why he made it to the finals on Project Runway. That's why he's On the Road with Austin spreading visual bliss in small towns across America.


I am honored that such a talented being possesses one of my works.

I would be even more honored to work with such a visionary.

Success happens when preparation meets opportunity...

No comments:

Post a Comment